tex-*-doc packages

I've been wondering about how we handle the texlive doc packages.

Currently we do them as separate packages: for a tex-foo package
we have a separate tex-foo-doc package to deal with the foo.doc
tarball.

I wonder if we should keep them as separate packages or role them into the base package (possibly with a variable to control inclusion).

Would do it by adding something like:

.if TEXLIVE_HAS_DOC = yes
DISTFILES= ${DEFAULT_DISTFILES} ${DISTNAME}.doc${EXTRACT_SUFX}
.endif

to texlive/package.mk then add the TEXLIVE_HAS_DOC=yes line to
the tex-foo/Makefile

or if we wanted to allow the docs to be optional:

BUILD_DEFS+= TEXLIVE_WANT_DOC
# default to on
TEXLIVE_WANT_DOC?= yes

PLIST_VARS+=    doc

.if TEXLIVE_HAS_DOC = yes && TEXLIVE_WANT_DOC = yes
DISTFILES= ${DEFAULT_DISTFILES} ${DISTNAME}.doc${EXTRACT_SUFX}
PLIST.doc=yes
.endif

(maybe use a separate PLIST.doc file rather that the ${PLIST.doc} variable).
This may be more complex than its worth and doesn't help with binary
package users.

Comments?

cheers
mark