Re: Hot to get net/dhcpcd-gtk to remember passwords?

Hi

On 10/11/2015 09:39, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> I installed dhcpcd-gtk as a replacement to wpa_gui. It works quite
> well. Every time I add a new access points, it records it into
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.
>
> However I can't get it to remember wifi passwords. Is this by default?

dhcpcd doesn't do anything with passwords other than tell wpa_supplicant
that a SSID has a specific password.

> If dhcpcd-gtk can write to wpa_supplicant.conf, why can't it also read from it?

It doesn't need to.
wpa_supplicant will pick which network to connect to.

If you instruct dhcpcd to connect to a network and a password is by the
network then a password box will appear.
You can enter a new password, which dhcpcd will write to wpa_supplicant
or you can leave it blank and wpa_supplicant will use one configured in
the network block for it.

Does this make sense? Does it now work for you?

> This is my wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> update_config=1
>
> Plus a list of all networks
>
> At boot time I have:
>
> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -B -i iwn0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
> /sbin/dhcpcd -b -q

Looks fine.

> Do I need the dhcpcd daemon at boot time?

Yes

Roy