Re: Swtich default PHP to 5.6.

On 24 August 2015 at 17:22, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 01:00:31AM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
>>> What's differ switching to 55 and 56?
>>
>> More applications works with 5.5 and with 5.6
>
> To me, this is the big question.  If 5.5 is not yet EOL, and there are
> significant things that work with 5.5 and not with 5.6 (and not a lot
> that fails with 5.5 and needs 5.6), then it seems too soon to switch.
>
> For packages that have optional php bits, especially those that have
> optional bits for various languages, using a phpXY- prefix seems too
> much.  But for packages which are fundementally php (can't work without
> it), then it seems those should have prefixes, which will get us
> multiple binary packages.

Is the issue only the 'php using packages without php-XY- prefix', or
are there some cases where one of those packages builds fine under 56,
but people need an optional module which is only available under 55?

If the latter, is it unusual enough that we can expect users to manage
themselves.

If the former, which packages have an issue? I know I've been using
roundcube under 5.6 for probably a year.

Is "all" that is needed for someone to go down the list of 'php using
packages without php-XY- prefix' and check if any do not support 56?