Re: Finch and X11

Greg Troxel wrote:
> There's no reason you can't have X11 client libs on a system with no
> display, other than bloat/size.  Howver, I agree with that it's a bug
> for finch to depend on X11.

Yeah, it's just unfortunate to have to build X11 when building NetBSD on
an SoC.

> I don't follow what you are saying from a quick glance at the
> makefiles.  finch does depend on glib2.  But glib2 does not depend on
> glib-dbus.

True. I just went back and checked - glib-dbus was a dependency of
GStreamer.

> I do see that dbus by default depends on x11, and in particular
> dbus-launch.  I don't really understand why, given what dbus does.
> Does anyone understand what it actually does, and what the
> consequences would be of disabling the x option?

I was wondering this. D-Bus isn't supposed to be a paragon of good
design or modularity, though, so there might not be an easy or sane
answer...

Anyway, it would be nice to have a "no-X11" flag/option for pkgsrc that
could propagate through to dependencies. That's a common and
clearly-defined limitation that many systems have. I don't know if that
feature already exists, though, and I don't understand pkgsrc well
enough to add it.