Re: Finch and X11

Michael McConville <mmcconville%mykolab.com@localhost> writes:

> Finch is an ncurses chat client based on libpurple. I don't think it
> should require X11 - if I remember correctly, this is actually a design
> principle of Finch, but I can't find the page on
> https://developer.pidgin.im at the moment. Currently, it requires glib2
> which requires glib-dbus which requires dbus which requires X11.
>
> Is there an easy fix for this? It'd make it usable on SoCs etc.

There's no reason you can't have X11 client libs on a system with no
display, other than bloat/size.  Howver, I agree with that it's a bug
for finch to depend on X11.

I don't follow what you are saying from a quick glance at the
makefiles.  finch does depend on glib2.  But glib2 does not depend on
glib-dbus.  It's the other way around:

/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/dbus-glib $ make show-depends
glib2>=2.34.0:../../devel/glib2
dbus>=1.8:../../sysutils/dbus

I do see that dbus by default depends on x11, and in particular
dbus-launch.  I don't really understand why, given what dbus does.  Does
anyone understand what it actually does, and what the consequences would
be of disabling the x option?