Re: How to perform a conservative package upgrade with pkgsrc?

On 14 Jul 2014 at 17:13, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 14 July 2014 16:53, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> > Have you actually tried pkg_comp?
>
> Actually I haven't. I am learning by doing, but I feel there is a lack
> of documentation. Pkg_comp is only mentioned once in the pkgsrc guide
> without much explanation. The wiki is terse. The page on the main
> targets is incomplete.
>
> Do I have to have a copy of the binary sets? In which case I give up.
> It doesn't serve my purpose.

Hi

A chroot requires a copy of the target system. My first ones used
either (1) a manual copy of my minimal install or (2) an install
by unpacking the sets, (1) has the advantage that I have my
normal users chrooted (2) from my build of NetBSD-6/i386
(201407122317). takes up +/- 420M of disk space. Here
22G    /usr/chroot/pkg_comp/default/
6.1G   /usr/chroot/pkg_comp/default/usr/pkgbin/
678M   /usr/chroot/pkg_comp/default/usr/pkgsrc/
3.6G   /usr/chroot/pkg_comp/default/usr/pkgsrc_distfiles/
2.7G   /usr/chroot/pkg_comp/default/usr/pkg_tarup/

"pkg_comp" might be an easier alternative as required steps are
in the man pages.

You appear to prefer not to play safe which results in creating
problems for yourself.

David