Re: pbulk Builds Made Easy (removal of old bulk build support)

  Hello,

Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> writes:

> I was working on updating The pkgsrc Guide to describe new bulk builds,
> and it has occurred to me that the explaining it in human language
> isn't what a user would want actually. While exploring how to explain it
> I have written a script that automates pbulk deployment and setup (attached).
> Currently the whole setup of a dedicated machine (real one, VM,
> chroot environment, FreeBSD jail, Solaris zone, or other similar thing)
> is reduced to three commands:
>
> (cd /usr && cvs -Q -z3 -d anoncvs%anoncvs.netbsd.org@localhost:/cvsroot get
> -P pkgsrc)
> sh pbulk.sh -n # for NetBSD, no "-n" for other systems, I used FreeBSD to
> test it
> /usr/pbulk/bin/bulkbuild
>
> It supports setting pbulk up for building selected list of packages,
> the routine changes to
>
> sh pbulk.sh -nl
> cp pbulk.list /usr/pbulk/etc/pbulk.list
> /usr/pbulk/bin/bulkbuild
>
> Thus, the script goes well along "five knobs" approach to human-machine
> interfaces. (In addition it can be used in more complex setups,
> I'm experimenting with automation of parallelized bulk builds
> using the same script.)
>
> Now it is polished to a state that the guide would just follow the code.
> I find explaining what the code does step by step stupid, it is only 200
> lines.
> Hence I propose the following:
>  - find a place in pkgsrc tree where we could put it;
>  - change bulk build instructions in the Guide to suggest using the script
>    (mentioning potential modification of it for advanced users);
>  - schedule removal of old bulk build code.

I'm reminding about this script. You can find new version in
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/asau/pbulk-serial-7.tar.gz

Since the first publication it has been heavily tested on NetBSD,
FreeBSD, and openSUSE. Since I haven't received any feedback,
I'm going to put it (newer version) into mk/bulk and amend instructions
in the Guide.

If you want to know the rationale behind the choice, here it is:

1. The script doesn't belong to documentation. It is ready to run and
is used in production. (E.g. all FreeBSD reports on pkgsrc-bulk are
produced with one or another version of it.)

2. The script doesn't belong to any package. It is meant to be run _before_
even pkgsrc tools are bootstrapped.

3. mk/scripts contains significantly different stuff, those scripts are
not meant for user consumption.

Thus the closest places for it are mk/bulk and bootstrap.

--
HE CE3OH...