Re: Broken system after "pkgin full-upgrade"

On 20 Jan 2014 at 9:51, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 20 January 2014 00:54, Bob Nestor <rnestor%tx.rr.com@localhost> wrote:
> > One thing I did see is if the upgrade involves a lot of packages pkgin
> >  will calculate the amount of space it needs in /var and reject the
> >  operation if there isn't enough space
>
> I don't recall receiving errors regarding space. All the packages were
> downloaded at once. Only half way through installation it complained
> that some packages could not be installed. Unfortunately I cannot find
> a log of these errors.
>
> It this can help, I recall viewing these messages:
> "File xxxx can be safely deleted if no other applications are using it".
>
> I am just recalling from memory.
>
> Isn't pkgin developed by the core developers at Netbsd. If there are
> any risks of running a full upgrade maybe that option should be
> removed. I can't see what I've done wrong before launching the
> command.
>
> Is there any way to reset the /usr/pkg and start again? At this point
> I am not even sure the output of pkg_info can be trusted.

Does output from "pkg_info -a" look ok?

It's possibly worth doing
"pkg_admin check"

and if that throws up errors

"pkg_admin reuild-tree" or even "pkg_admin rebuild"

I don't use pkgin, I edit a pkgchk.conf then use pkg_chk
to build/install binary packages (takes 1-3 weeks). The
binaries in /usr/pkg_tarup are then copied to target pcs
and installed using "pkg_chk -buak" (takes a few hours).

David