Re: pkgsrc/mail/sendmail anomalies

Richard PALO <richard.palo%baou.fr@localhost> writes:

> It appears that files/site.config.m4 in pkgsrc/mail/sendmail is only
> used during build (devtools/Site), but configuration of a sendmail.mc
> is done after install where this file *could* and *should* contain a
> number of important configuration parameters, for instance:
>   define(`QUEUE_DIR', `${VARBASE}/spool/mqueue')
>   define(`MSP_QUEUE_DIR', `${VARBASE}/spool/clientmqueue')
>   define(`confCONTROL_SOCKET_NAME', `${VARBASE}/spool/mqueue/.control')
>
> I seem to be able to get QUEUE_DIR working if I put it directly into
> sendmail.mc and MSP_QUEUE_DIR in submit.mc.  CONTROL_SOCKET_NAME seems
> to be picked up alright at build time, but I believe there is still a
> problem with sendmails PidFiles.
>
> Is there any consensus on preference of ensuring these work by
> default' build time (source code patches to suggest upstream) or to
> use the SUBST tools and simply "fix" the m4 files.

I don't really understand the details, but it sounds like site.config.m4
should be installed so that generating configs works as expected.

I don't think this can be fixed upstream because
  a) I suspect they don't want to encode preferences for 20 operating
  systems.
  b) VARBASE can change

> Also, /etc/rc.d/sendmail seems confused as well as to pathnames
> hardcoding /usr/sbin/sendmail instead of
> ${PREFIX}/libexec/sendmail/sendmail, is this broke on purpose?

See mailwrapper(1).
I don't think it's confused, but it may not be right.