Re: current pkgsrc running on netbsd-6

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012, Greg Troxel wrote:

Darrel writes:

About a month ago I installed beta2 of NetBSD6.  Package vulnerabilities
was complaining about some of the packages and nothing was updating when
I ran 'cd /usr/pkgsrc' and 'cvs update -dP'.

So last night I ran 'cvs update -dPA' and it seems like pkg_chk must
now be rebuilding most of the installed packages.

Since the package system is current now, it is my understanding that
now 'cvs update -dP' will continue to download the latest pkgsrc.  Will
I potentially have library problems and either:

1)  at some point update the system to current instead of netbsd-6

or

2)  at some point run cvs update to perhaps pkgsrc-2012Q3?

To summarize, do I have a system to pkgsrc mismatch problem?

You basically can't, because the bas system and pkgsrc are independent.
(It is true that current pkgsrrc and NetBSD 2.0 won't work, but any
recent version of pkgsrc tries to support NetBSD 4, 5, 6ish, current,
and I supsect 4 may be dropped when 6 is releaseed.)

Issues you will face:

 when updating pkgsrc, update the whole tree.  partial updates
 basically are unsafe.

 when rebuilding packages, make sure it's done in order.  You can use
 make update, pkg_rr, or remove and pkg_chk, or other techniques.

 when updating to current, you'll want to rebuild osabi, and anything
 that depends on it

 if you update to current (as opposed to reinstall and replace
 /usr/pkg), then any system shlibs that have a new major will still
 have the old major.  This will be ok before you update packages, but
 then when you update you'll get the new major.  So I would mark them
 all dirty and do pkg_rr, but others will have other suggestions.

None of these issues are about pkgsrc version vs base version.  It's
about changing things and not rebuilding things that depend on those
things.  Note that the OS shlib majors are not manifest dependencies,
even though they are actual dependencies.  Hence my 'rebuild everything'
suggestion.

Thank you for all of the good information! This computer is my main desktop at the moment, for learning purposes. Since it has two network cards, eventually it will route a private network with a public one and hopefully be doing some interesting things with mdnsd. :)

Darrel