Pkgsrc fails to use system compiler if locale is set

Hello

On my (Ubuntu Linux 12.04, gcc-4.6, pkgsrc-2012Q2), I noticed that many many programms, but not all, where trying to force me to boostrap gcc-3 although I had a perfectly working compiler.

I pinpointed the problem to all makefiles which contains "../../mk/compiler.mk"

After some research I found this mail
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2009/07/30/msg010316.html
which mentions setting LC_ALL=C.

I did that and suddenly pkgsrc started to use my system compiler.

Posting here in case somehow is hit as well.

Manu

-- When the seagulls follow the trawler,
it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. --
                                                   Eric Cantona