Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

On 14 September 2011 18:25, Jörn Clausen <>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Hans Rosenfeld
> <> wrote:
>> Another problematic thing
>> would be Xserver support, but I don't know if that matters here.
> I have never tried it, I use pkgsrc (with modular X11) only for client
> programs, but X server and session handling is native. I should have
> mentioned this when I suggested switching to modular.

Definitely agreed - the target market here would be users wanting to
build apps to run against their native SunOS X server, anything from
xkobo to kde4.

>> I don't know whether modular even builds on any SunOS as-is, the older
>> releases being likely to be more problematic.
> The problem is, that you can use native only with the Sun Studio
> compiler. But that won't get you very far within pkgsrc in general, as
> you trip over GCCisms and sloppy programming in every second package.
> IMHO modular is the only reasonable alternative on SunOS.

Is it feasible to switch compiler after building some packages? If
not, then we could have the SunOS native/modular default based on
compiler used well.