protecting compiler from accidental updates

Hi!

I just bricked my complete pkgsrc installation. The reason seems to be the update of devel/gettext-lib. I use lang/gcc34 as compiler. This has a dependency on gettext-lib. So pkg_rolling-replace decided to update gcc34. For doing so, it decided to install lang/gcc, i.e. GCC 2.95. Halfway through, the build process fell apart and left me without a working compiler. Although it might be possible to reinstall lang/gcc34 using the Sun Studio compiler, I think it's easier to just bootstrap everything from scratch.

Question: Is there a way to protect the compiler (and maybe other packages) from getting updated? And store this list of packages in a place so that any method of update (manual "make update", pkg_chk -u, pkg_rolling-replace) will not even attempt to touch any of these packages or their prerequisites?

--
 Jörn Clausen
joern.clausen%uni-bielefeld.de@localhost