Re: documentation for packages

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 01:44:13AM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> I think reducing build time is a completely different problem. There is
> no any reason to rebuild all dependent packages recursively if package
> producing pdf or ps were changed unless explicit >=x.y.z is specified in
> BUILD_DEPENDS. Recursive rebuild is only required for library
> dependencies when API or ABI versions bumped.

Yes, but reasons for rebuild are magnifold and may be outside of pkgsrc
scope - like "local policy".

However, I do agree that this all is bandaid over an upstream problem.
Maybe upstream should be asked to provide pre-generated docs? I assume
nobody feels the pain when developing on a personal amd64 8gb machine with
lots of > 3GHz cores. But pkg build setups are not all like that.

Martin