Re: [HEADS-UP] Freeze in Preparation for pkgsrc-2010Q3 Branch

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:34:39PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> This is just a quick heads-up that we plan to have a (shorter than
> usual) freeze in pkgsrc for new functionality in preparation for the
> new branch.
>
> We need to fix the pixman issues that are being seen, but the Q3 brnch
> will have a whole lot of new goodies - taca's excellent ruby 1.9
> upgrade (thank you!), postgres-9.0 support, prosody (hi, perry!) and
> many, many more.
>
> We'll be doing the freeze a little differently this time around.  The
> previous freezes have needed little more than a week, so I plan to
> start the freeze on September 23rd, at 23:59 UTC, please raise a flag
> now if people think that we'll need more time.
>
> This is also a call for volunteers to create an announcement for the
> branch.  I can do the basics, but I need help with crafting the
> announcement.  All help would be gratefully received.

There are a number of issues with pkgsrc right now - pixman, maybe
ruby, an acroread9 package (which would be awesome), and maybe
libtool, so the branch will be delayed a few hours until tomorrow.

I'll send mail with an update tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to help draft the announcement,
I'm just a "reply" away.

Thanks,
Alistair