Re: Pkgsrc on Mac OS X

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:49:24AM +0200, Leo R. Lundgren wrote:

21 sep 2010 kl. 04.31 skrev John Ruschmeyer:

Lately, I've been seriously trying to build a few packages using pkgsrc
under both Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and 10.4.11 (Tiger) on a PowerPC. It
seems like pkgsrc is not a big option for Mac users, though, as it is never
mentioned in the same breath as Fink or Macports. So, I was wondering two
things:

Indeed it's hard to see it mentioned. Why that is I don't really know, but it's
sad :/
I try to ventilate "pkgsrc" every time there's an opportunity :)

1) Is there anyone else on the list who is using pkgsrc under Mac OS X? If
so, what version?

I have been using it for a couple of years now, current version of pkgsrc.
I previously ran it on a PowerBook G4 under OS X 10.4.11, then on a MacBook Pro
(Intel) under OS X 10.5.8 and now 10.6.4.
It works well. I use it mostly for postgresql, mysql, apache, graphicsmagick,
imagemagick, php, python, sqlite, etc.

For the most part I've loved using pkgsrc on my mac as well, and it
has performed exceptionally well.

Interesting that you mentioned postgresql, I had a lot of problems
with initializing database clusters with pkgsrc postgresql
specifically on OS X and eventually had to build it outside of pkgsrc:
http://osdir.com/ml/pgsql-general/2009-05/msg00486.html

Cheers,
Jonathan.