Re: Old Binary Packages/Sources (NetBSD/i386 1.5.3)?

Martin,

We outlined the initial motivation and query on Wednesday 11th August 2010.

[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2010/08/13/msg012571.html ]

In short we were trying to find corresponding (old) pkgsrc binaries and sources
from around the time of the NetBSD/i386 1.5.3 release.

We noted that FreeBSD seemed to maintain an archive:

[ ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/ ]

of their old ports binaries and although not explicitly mentioned in the
initial post; the Slackware 7.0 distribution (which was installed) also had
maintained it's release related binaries in the ISO9660 image file.

We have yet to find such a public archive for pkgsrc binaries/sources.

During the course of this thread we have discussed using cvs to check out an
old pkgsrc revision:

[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2010/08/13/msg012578.html ]

and rebuilding the old pkgsrc binaries (bulk builds):

[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2010/08/19/msg012600.html ]
[ http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/bulk.html ]

On Friday 13th August 2010 Jeremy C. Reed noted that :

"Many of old distfiles referenced may simply be missing from original
download sites and maybe our distfiles is incomplete for 2000."

[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2010/08/13/msg012577.html ]

Which led us to contemplate plugging these distfile gaps with the sources from
the Slackware 7.0 ISO9660 image file or finding out whether Linux emulation
existed in the NetBSD/i386 1.5.3 kernel:

[ http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2010/08/21/msg012617.html ]

The 'real' reason behind doing this was to enable our 486DX2 to make the
transition from Slackware 7.0 to NetBSD/i386 1.5.3. The problem was that date
related (to the NetBSD/i386 1.5.3 release) pkgsrc binaries (and sources) do not
appear to be archived and available from [ ftp://ftp.netbsd.org ] as they are
on FreeBSD archive [
ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/ ] or the
Slackware ISO9660 image file.

Were you wondering whether we were joking about reverting back to Slackware 7.0
(from NetBSD 1.5.3/i386)?

How would running Microsoft Windows 95 help us obtaining NetBSD/i386 1.5.3
date/time related pkgsrc binaries (and sources)?

Kind Regards,