Re: Dependencies of meta-pkgs/gnome [was Re: Adding a gnome-lite package]

On 04/23/10 13:20, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 01:09:48PM +0000, Jens Rehsack wrote:
I personally would prefer keeping the number of basically equivalent
packages small and introduce some options there. Otherwise the amount
of new packages switches from self-maintaining package list to search
most fitting package.

What's the benefit of options in a meta-package?

If I want eg. Gnome and Firefox, I will simply install gnome-lite and
firefox, rather than enabling the "firefox" option of the gnome-lite
package.

The benefit should be, that all suggested dependencies are optional, so without any interaction, gnome-pkgsrc behaves like gnome-suggested. To stay at your example, you'll not have to "PKG_OPTIONS.gnome-pkgsrc=+firefox" but "PKG_OPTIONS.gnome-pkgsrc=-firefox" if you want to use another browser.

 The goal of gnome-lite (or whatever the name) is just to save
the users from having to scrape together the set of relevant libraries
and tools themselves, not to be the one meta-pkg-to-rule-them-all.

Currently the users have not many choices: they can use the entire meta-pkg or use it not.

But introducing 5 new packages which differ slightly wouldn't make sense to me when 2 new packages and 2-3 options would do fine.

/Jens