Re: Dependencies of meta-pkgs/gnome [was Re: Adding a gnome-lite package]

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 02:59:59PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> If all dependencies are optional, there is no point in having a meta
> package.

Fully agreed on this.

> Package options, specially those that change dependencies, are evil.
> Let's not go that route unless necessary.

I want to put this into a bit of perspective. Many options change the
dependency list, simply because there often is no point in having the
option otherwise. Talking about a meta package, two different situations
should be considered. Something like a "firefox" option that just adds a
dependency on Firefox is bad. If you want firefox, just add it yourself.
On the other hand, something like a "cups" option that would
additionally include a CUPS configuration frontend is a different
matter. The "cups" option already exists for other packages and the
configuration tool would make those more useful.

Joerg