Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/math/pari

On 02/16/10 12:38, Amitai Schlair wrote:
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Jens Rehsack<rehsack%googlemail.com@localhost>
 wrote:

On 02/15/10 18:42, Amitai Schlair wrote:

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Amitai Schlair<schmonz%schmonz.com@localhost>
  wrote:

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Jens Rehsack<sno%netbsd.org@localhost>    wrote:

pkgsrc changes:
- Adding license (GPLv2)
- Adding X11 and GMP support (latter via option)
- Adding patches to support math/p5-Math-Pari can be build without
  rebuilding pari again

Thanks for looking after this, p5-Math-Pari was really a mess before.
Needing X11 is a regression, though, at least for my usage:
p5-Net-OpenID-Consumer pulls in p5-Math-Pari (via p5-Crypt-DH) and now
this causes my ikiwiki servers to need X, which they haven't got. Any
way the X11 bit can also be made optional?

The following patch to make x11 optional works for me on my systems
without X. Can you test with X and commit if I didn't break anything?

http://www.netbsd.org/~schmonz/pari-nox11.diff

I will from now ignore all mails (including this one) which are not cc'ed
pkgsrc-users@ or PR. I want the community be informed, because I'm not
maintaining math/pari - I just did an update!

Ah, so that's why you had replied to my private mails in a public
forum.

I didn't understood where they were private. You spoke in the name of the TNF - and you didn't respond to my two review requests in pkgsrc-users@, neither to Aleksej's suggestions but ask for changes (which everyone would see) to a commit.

That could be considered rude, and I hadn't understood why you
did it until now. I still don't understand what I did to deserve this
unfriendly attitude from you. Whatever it was, I apologize.

If I were unfriendly, please excuse me - that wasn't my intension. I just want to prevent that changes to packages which had discussed public will now discussed in private. First you, than I change as you require - then the next will send me a private mail etc. - I will stop such a process at it's begin. Maybe I'm wrong (and in this case please accept my apology), but I didn't see any private question in your requests to modify math/pari.

Your update, while needed, introduced at least one seriously
regression in usability.

That's why it had 2 review requests on pkgsrc-users@ - where everyone could had respond. And that's why I want this usability regression being discussed in public - that everyone could read it and search for it in the archives.

I'm not asking you to act like the package
maintainer, merely to take responsibility for fallout from your
commit. And I attached a patch. Please consider being more receptive
to this sort of thing in the future.

I hope there will be some feedback to your patch on the list. The patch is fine for me except that x11 will be enabled by default. So you need to turn it off manually if you don't want x11 being a dependency.

Maybe someone wants tex dependency removed (for the price that no documentation will be generated etc.?)

Best regards,
Jens