Re: Ada packages for NetBSD

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:57:04 +0300
Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:

> > Would any developers who have access to pkgsrc, be interested in
> > building/testing Ada compilers and uploading them to ftp server?
>
> Provide packages for pkgsrc rather than just compilers.

I was talking about providing binary packages only. There is no easy
way of building native gcc-ada packages from source, because for some
platforms they don't exist. So you need to cross compile them first,
which is a bit messy, takes a long time and doesn't always work.

I'm not an Ada guru, so I don't know if targeted Ada compilers will
work on that particular platform. They might compile simple "hello
world" programs, but then fail to support features like tasking, etc.

At the moment there is no easy way to download and install gcc-4.x
Ada compiler for NetBSD. There are older gcc-3.x Ada compilers for i386
and amd64 platforms, but that's about it.