Re: pkgsrc on Solaris - coexisting with already installed software

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:50:34PM -0500, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply, Alistair!
>
> Alistair Crooks ???????(??):
>
> > [...]
> >> And it was not only the LIB_DEPENDS stuff -- gmake, that was already
> >> available under /usr/local/bin, was rebuilt and installed under
> >> /usr/pkg/bin as well only to build a dependency...
> >>
> >> Can this be avoided?
> >>

> > In the past, we've shied away from that kind of thing.  Yes, the
> > software is there, but it may have config files which are not managed
> > in the way pkgsrc expects, patches needed for pkgsrc use, dependencies
> > which pkgsrc expects, or user addition in the same manner.  So we
> > usually find it much easier to install our own version, managed by
> > pkgsrc.
> >
> Oh, yes, of course -- I understand, why it is much easier your way, but,
> perhaps, it is still possible (such as through a few variables set here
> and there) -- with all the customary warnings -- to do it the harder
> way? It would be a lot easier for me to gradually switch over to
> pkgsrc-provided builds, than to bit the bullet and switch all at once, I
> think...

Yes, I know what you mean, I've managed networks of Solaris machines
before.  But I'm afraid there is no good migration path for this kind
of migration.  It would definitely be nice to have, though.  Let me
know if this is something that you'd be interested in, and I'll see if
some of the Solaris pkgsrc people (or Linux, or ...) are interested in
helping out.

> >     .if exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/sudo)
> >     SU_CMD=        ${LOCALBASE}/bin/sudo /bin/sh -c
> >     .endif
> Is sudo Kerberos-aware? Thanks,

Yes - this is from Mac OS X, but still holds:

        % dirs
        0       ~/pkgsrc/security/sudo
        % bmake show-options
        Any of the following general options may be selected:
                ldap     Enable LDAP support.
        At most one of the following auth options may be selected:
                kerberos         Enable Kerberos support.
                pam      Enable PAM support.
                skey     Enable S/Key support.

        These options are enabled by default:

        These options are currently enabled:

        You can select which build options to use by setting PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS
        or PKG_OPTIONS.sudo.
        %

What I also meant was: note the syntax of the SU_CMD definition in mk.conf.
So you could try this:

        SU_CMD=su -m root -c

in /etc/mk.conf, or use one of the search engines to look for pkgsrc and SU_CMD.

Best,
Alistair