Re: pkgsrc on Solaris - coexisting with already installed software

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 05:53:47PM -0500, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Can this be avoided?

The infrastructure tries to a certain degree to pick up system
components. It does not try to use arbitrary stuff -- it would make
maintainance impossible. One of the advantages is actually that it tries
to properly keep track of the dependencies and not depending on random
versions of things in /usr/local is generally a good thing.

> Next question is package-generation -- I can see, that `bmake package'
> creates BSD-style packages (.tgz), which are quite familiar to me as a
> FreeBSD-user. Has anyone played with making pkgsrc create native
> packages, installable by pkgadd on SunOS and rpm on Linux? Using
> devel/epm -- which is what I'm manually doing right now -- could help
> with that...

pkgtools/gensolpkg works to some degree.

Joerg