Re: Slackware Linux and pkgsrc

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:33:22 +0300
Aleksey Cheusov <vle%gmx.net@localhost> wrote:
(snip)
>      echo /usr/pkg/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
>      ldconfig
>
> There is no need for this.
> -rpath option is passed to the linker and therefore pkgsrc executables
> will use their libraries from /usr/pkg/lib without problem.
> If they don't, appropriate package needs to be fixed.
(snip)

> --
> Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.

If you want to only use pkgsrc programs with pkgsrc libraries, then you don't
need this step.  However, if you want to use non-pkgsrc programs with pkgsrc
libraries, then you do need this step, as I found out a week ago.  I was using
a non-pkgsrc program that needed the X and GTK2 libraries, and I wanted to use
the libraries I installed from pkgsrc.  I kept getting "Shared Object xxx.so.x
not found" errors until I performed this step, after which the program worked
just fine.
--
- Dave V.