Re: Slackware Linux and pkgsrc

> Hi,

> I finally updated my notes about using pkgsrc with Slackware Linux
> (version 13.0). As you can see, some things are still under
> construction (but feel free to contribute :-)

> http://kuparinen.org/martti/comp/slackware/

     echo /usr/pkg/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf
     ldconfig

There is no need for this.
-rpath option is passed to the linker and therefore pkgsrc executables
will use their libraries from /usr/pkg/lib without problem.
If they don't, appropriate package needs to be fixed.

     # Install the pkgsrc tools
     cd /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap
     sh bootstrap -h
     sh bootstrap
     rm -rf work

Unless something changed greately, "rm -rf work" will not remove ALL
working directories created while bootstrapping. It is much better to
add --workdir option to bootstrap script, and WRKOBJDIR variable to
mk.conf after bootstrapping.

     mk.conf:
     USE_DESTDIR=yes

If you build packages with root privileges USE_DESTDIR=yes in mk.conf is
IMHO useless. Otherwise, it makes sense to add
SU_CMD=sudo /bin/sh -c.

Also to make your example mk.conf better, it makes sense to add, e.g.
PKG_OPTIONS= -arts
to activate some options globally.

Another example is
   TOOLS_IGNORE.gmake = yes
It makes sense to this command just after bootstrapping and install GNU
make from Linux distribution. This will significantly reduce building
time of some packages (cvs and others).

   5.3. Creating binary packages

In my view, it makes sense to always build packages in isolated
environment even if if many of them support DESTDIR.
wip/distbb and pkgtools/pbulk support partial bulk builds.
Another variant is pkg_rolling-replace.

   5.4. Installling binary packages
   cd /var/tmp/packages/All
   pkg_add vim

I'd recommend to setup PKG_PATH directory once and forever.
Then, "pkg_add vim" will work from everywhere.

   5.7. Using pkg_comp
   TBD

AFAIK pkg_comp is based on null mounts and NetBSD sets absent in Linux.
Thus, pkg_comp will not work under Linux.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.