Re: [rant] Too many dependencies

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Jan
Danielsson<jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>   To give an example: I don't want hal, avahi or fam. Yet sometimes get the
> feeling that whatever I try to install, these get pulled in some way or
> another. These are typical features which you can enable/disable for
> individual packages in portage.

I totally agree. There are packages that offer options to exclude this
extra stuff, but sooner or later you need to install a package that
pulls in one of those dependencies unconditionally.

I have no problem with defaults including every possible option and
the kitchen sink. But please (package maintainers), add options to
exclude stuff that is not vital. There are cases (and I will provide
an example as soon as I find one...), where the original configure
script has a --disable-xyz option for such a big dependency, but it is
not passed up to pkgsrc, instead a dependency is added in order to
pass the configure test.

--
Joern Clausen
joernc%gmail.com@localhost