Re: ${PYPKGPREFIX}- for package names (and wip/py-buildbot)

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Oliver V. Gould wrote:

> On 2009-06-30, Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > So the py prefix is only for wrappers/interfaces like py24-libxml2-2.6.30,
> > py24-libxslt-1.1.22, and py25-expat-0nb4.
> >
> > Can someone confirm this for this package? (So I will remove the PKGNAME
> > line so the PYPKGPREFIX is not prefixed.)
>
> I think that PYPKGPREFIX should be necessary for any package that
> installs libraries into lib/python*/site-packages.  It seems perfectly
> reasonable for me to install both py25-buildbot and py26-buildbot on the
> same host (for instance, to run buildbots that test for backwards
> compatibility with python versions).

I am not sure I understand the need for different buildbots for that
testing. Seems like a new buildbot can be used to "test" old versions.
Any specific example?

>  This should dictate that that the
> buildbot executable is installed as e.g. buildbot2.5 and buildbot2.6.

That's misleading since makes it look like the Buildbot version is
2.5 or 2.6 when really is "0.7.10p1" or similar. Maybe py25-buildbot or
py26-buildbot as executable name. Then would have to put info files and
other non "site-packages" as versioned filenames (or directories).

> FWIW, I have written code that doesn't use the buildbot executable but
> extends the buildbot module, so this module in particular is very much
> an interface in my mind.  Though, I think this principal should probably
> apply to ~all Python packages.

What do you use the buildbot module for? I am working on the buildbot
package and hope to import to pkgsrc proper (from wip) but it has many
failed tests. By the way, I have a buildbot build slaves on NetBSD for
the buildbot and twisted projects that show that the build slave works but
also show that many "tests" fail.