Re: www/apache22nb2 segfaults on NetBSD-5-0-RC4

On Apr 30, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
Fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost> writes:
I installed apache-2.2.11nb2 on a NetBSD 5.0 RC4 machine, but noticed
that it just stopped responding after some weeks of service. I found
this in apache logfile(s), but since It's only segfaults in the
error_log and nothing written to the access_log it's harder to find
the cause of the problem...

# less /var/log/httpd/error_log

[Wed Apr 29 02:08:22 2009] [notice] child pid 22460 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
[Wed Apr 29 02:08:22 2009] [notice] child pid 16080 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
[Wed Apr 29 02:09:06 2009] [warn] (51)Network is unreachable: connect
to listener on [::]:443
(Last line repeated several times...)

Unfortunately, this error seem to be quite common on all type of
platforms, and the "best" explanation I found so far is that apache
modules could cause this. And the only additional apache module I've
installed is ap22-php5-5.2.9nb1
Anybody else seen or had problems with unresponsive apache(2.2) on
NetBSD 5 yet?

I think apache is pretty stable but once you add python or php less so.
mod_wsgi, for example, has a lot of stability fixes in the most recent
update to 2.4.

With at least some versions of php, there was a problem with one of the
worker models because the php libs were not reentrant.  I really don't
know if that is a php4 or php5 issue, or both.

 http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

Yes, probably. I didn't notice this behavior before I started to use roundcube (webmail),
which require lots of php dynamic extensions.

From php.ini:

extension=mysql.so
extension=gettext.so
extension=gd.so
extension=iconv.so
extension=mbstring.so
extension=mcrypt.so
extension=sockets.so
extension=dom.so

(not all of these are required for roundcube)