Re: www/firefox3: font rendering regression with 3.0.9

* Jukka Salmi <> [2009-04-29 10:37]:
> > > after updating www/firefox3 from 3.0.7 to 3.0.9 on a NetBSD/i386 current
> > > system I noticed a font rendering regression; e.g. the NetBSD home page
> > > used to look like [1]this, but now looks like [2]this.

With my /etc/fonts/local.conf, Firefox segfaulted, but after moving my
configuration out of the way, I saw the same font rendering issue.

> Uh, firefox links against both builtin (I'm using XFree86 built from
> HEAD xsrc) and pkgsrc freetype2:
> $ ldd /usr/pkg/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin | grep freetype
>         -lfreetype.6 => /usr/pkg/lib/
>         -lfreetype.9 => /usr/X11R6/lib/

Same here, and this is also true for another few libraries.  AFAICS, the
problem is actually Fontconfig:

$ ldd /usr/pkg/lib/firefox3/firefox-bin | grep fontconfig
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/

Forcing Firefox not to link against the Fontconfig version from XFree86
fixed the problem for me.