Re: pkgsrc in a commercial setting: Joyent

On Oct 31, 2008, at 3:28 PM, David Brownlee wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Klaus Heinz wrote:

I just found Joyent ( who use pkgsrc on OpenSolaris
to build or let their customers build packages.

Anyone heard of them before?

        No - though it looks like they've been using pkgsrc since March
        We should definitely drop them a line to see how they are
        getting along with pkgsrc if noone has already spoken to them :)

I am using their service. They switched from Blastwave to pkgsrc last March, and the initial pkgsrc deployment was based on pkgsrc-2007Q4. There are binary packages for 2008Q2 as well ( ), but I suspect many of their customers are still using 2007Q4.

The base system is pkgsrc-ready. It has gcc-3.4.3 and all the required tools to bootstrap pkgsrc. They also provide a customized mk.conf (, setting many options useful for web services.

Min Sik Kim