Re: firefox3 totally unusable [somehow seems to be ok now]

On Wed 30 Jul 2008 at 17:52:12 +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
>Please complain to the Mozilla Foundation if you don't like the EULA.

I may do that. The weird thing is that I had never seen it before, even
though I have upgraded a couple of people with (x)ubuntu to firefox 3.
So somehow those Linux distributions manage to hide the EULA.

> This may be due to missing X11 fonts. I use modular X.org with it's
> font meta package, and that works fine for me.
> /usr/pkg/bin/fc-list can be used to see which fonts have been detected.

The same pages render fine in firefox 2, though. So if there are fonts
missing, firefox 3 is handling it differently than firefox 2.

In fact I did notice that even in firefox 2, font display has changed
compared to before I upgraded to the pkgsrc-2008Q2 branch. Apparently
"they" never stop messing with it[1].

...time passes...

However, I have messed around a bit with a fresh user, xfce font
settings, and other things that should not make a difference, and now
suddenly it seems to work. Hmmmmmm.

[1] I used to have my default font set to "Times" and now some pages
look ragged and not anti-aliased anymore.  Either they didn't fall back
to that font before, or the display of that font has deteriorated.
Changing my default font helped. This whole fontconfig stuff is a mess,
made worse by the fact that there are competing versions in the base
system and in pkgsrc.

> -Tobias
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.