Re: firefox3 totally unusable

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:48:05 +0200
Rhialto <> wrote:

> I built and installed firefox3 from the new stable pkgsrc-2008Q2 branch,
> and it is totally unusable.
> To begin with, it wants me to agree with a EULA.

Please complain to the Mozilla Foundation if you don't like the EULA.

> After that, it declares half my extensions "incompatible".

Try visiting the extensions' respective homepage, sometimes they have
new or beta versions that work. Eitherway, it's not a pkgsrc problem.

> Then it doesn't render pages at all, or if it does, uses the numbered
> boxes for many letters like
> turns into an empty "untitled" page, for instance.
> On stdout it spits out scores of messages like
> (firefox-bin:7070): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly
> output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Trebuchet MS Bold Italic
> 10.03125', text=' '

This may be due to missing X11 fonts. I use modular with it's
font meta package, and that works fine for me.
/usr/pkg/bin/fc-list can be used to see which fonts have been detected.