pango problem

     I'm seeing a problem with Xft2+.  It won't build because it
doesn't find pangocairo.pc.  pango doesn't install pangocairo.pc et al
because it doesn't find any font rendering backends to use
(specifically it doesn't find freetype2.pc).  I believe the issue here
is that the built-in version of freetype2 is being used to satisfy
pango's freetype2 dependency and thus freetype2.pc from the freetype2
package isn't being copied into pango's .buildlink directory.  What's
the best way to solve this problem?