Re: Linux32 Emulation on NetBSD 4.0 AMD64

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 04:27:46AM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:01:17 -0500
> Taylor Venable <taylor%metasyntax.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem running Linux 32-bit binaries in the AMD64 port
> > of NetBSD 4.0 - I'm not sure if this configuration is supported or
> > not but I figured since pkgsrc didn't stop me, maybe they would run.
> > The problem crops up anytime I try to actually run the executable:
> >
> >  469 [ taylor @ lionel ] : ~ > opera
> > /usr/pkg/emul/linux32/bin/bash: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected
> > (expecting ")")
> >
> > 470 [ taylor @ lionel ] : ~ > firefox-linux
> > /usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/firefox-bin: 1: Syntax error: "("
> > unexpected
> >
> > And the same when trying to install the Linux JRE:
> >
> > ===> Extracting for sun-jre6-6.0.1nb2
> > ./install.sfx.17257: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> >
> You have to have this options set in your kernel config file:
>
> options         COMPAT_LINUX
> options         COMPAT_LINUX32  # req. COMPAT_LINUX and COMPAT_NETBSD32
> options         EXEC_ELF32
>
> Of course, I have them set and acroread still doesn't work for me, but
> at least I get a different error...

Ah, OK.  Even though these are the default in the source tree for the
GENERIC configuration, they aren't selected in the GENERIC or
GENERIC.MP kernels found in the NetBSD 4.0 installation sets.  I just
recently compiled NetBSD-current from source and things are mostly
working now, at least not those same problems across the board.  Many
(belated) thanks!

--
Taylor Venable            http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

foldr = lambda f, i, l: (len(l) == 1 and [f(l[0], i)] or
                         [f(l[0], foldr(f, i, l[1:]))])[0]