Re: general problem with pkgsrc on 64bit linux

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> writes:

>> +# rdm hack: Ensure that ${LOCALBASE}/lib is at the front of
>> BUILDLINK_LDFLAGS
>

> We need to make sure this doesn't break pkgsrc for those who choose native
> /usr/lib/ for some components (like libwrap with
> PREFER_NATIVE=tcp_wrappers).

You are of course correct that my patch is a hack not suitable for
inclusion into pkgsrc.  I posted it as confirmation of the problem,
and so that if someone else is stuck on the same issue on rhel 64 bit,
the workaround is in the archives.

Disclaimer on below proposal: I am a pkgsrc grasshopper.

Can't we always tell software to look in /usr/pkg/lib, never look in
/usr/lib or /usr/lib64 etc., and then build symbolic links to system
supplied libraries based on the user's preferences?

The linker command line argument language is limited, so we must use
the filesystem to express our preferences.

-russ