problems building kde3

I'm trying to build kde (i386, -current, pkgsrc HEAD).  Many of its
components are failing because they can't find -lesd.  I can fix it by
adding a buildlink3 file for audio/esound, but I have to add it to a
number of different Makefiles.  Should I add it to all of them?  Add it
to meta-pkgs/kde3/kde3.mk?  (Disclaimer: there may be some dependent
packages already built; however, I started the build with no packages
named kde*3 on system, and with no work directories and up-to-date
pkgsrc.)