Re: ports FLAVORS on pkgsrc (and postfix)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 05:57:15PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > are there any options on pkgsrc to what OpenBSD calls FLAVORS? If not,
> > are there any plans to include it?
> >
> > I'm asking because of problems regarding Postfix support for SASL2. I
> > compiled postfix-current, which do not have SASL2 support by default. It
> > would be nice to have something like FLAVORS to do this job rather than
> > modifying Makefile manually.
>
> You haven't had to edit the Makefile manually for as long as I can
> remember.  In the old days you had to set specific variables in mk.conf,
> but nowadays you have the whole options framework.
>
> Try "make show-options" someday...

One significant difference is that OpenBSD allows packaging these
different "flavors" with unique package names and sub packages (or multi
packages). This makes it easier and quicker for end-users.

For example (look at option or options after the version):

a2ps-4.13bp3-letter.tgz or  a2ps-4.13bp3-a4.tgz

aalib-1.2p0-no_x11.tgz or  aalib-1.2p0.tgz

ja-kterm-6.2.0p2-xaw3d.tgz

asclock-2.0.12-classic-english.tgz

aterm-0.4.2p0-big5-lite.tgz or aterm-0.4.2p0-lite.tgz or aterm-0.4.2p0-big5.tgz

bogofilter-1.0.2-db4.tgz

catdoc-0.91.4p0-tk.tgz  (this would be like pkgsrc's catdoc-tk-0.94.2)

cooledit-3.17.14p1-python.tgz

and many others ...

NetBSD does it two ways: have a separate package (separate directory in
pkgsrc) or custom build your own (using PKG_OPTIONS).

It would be nice if a lot of our options automatically could be made into
packages with unique file names too. It seems like I saw a proposal about
that for pkgsrc.

  Jeremy C. Reed