Re: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz

     That is the master site, so nowhere else will have a fresher
copy.  To use CVS, just 'cd /usr/pkgsrc' (or wherever you unpacked the
tarball) and type 'cvs up -dP'.

Thank you John. I was under the impression if I want to keep updating
with CVS, then I'll have to start all over with CVS. As in, (1) delete
the current /usr/pkgsrc (since it was created from the tarball), (2)
then fetch things with a CVS checkout, and (3) then keep updating
using "cvs upd -dP". From your post, however, I understand that I can
just use "cvs upd -dP" on whatever I currently have (extracted from
the tarball), and that should work fine. Right? Cool.

I have one more question. In the pkgsrc users' guide
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/getting.html), I see these
two paras that I don't quite understand:
* Please also note that it is possible to have multiple copies of the
pkgsrc hierarchy in use at any one time - all work is done relatively
within the pkgsrc tree.
* If your copy of pkgsrc contains a lot of CVS directories, you can
update it using the cvs(1) program. First, cd to the top level
directory of pkgsrc. Then run cvs -q update -dP, and you're done.

Could you tell me what it means by saying its possible to have
multiple copies of the pkgsrc hierarchy? How does one go about doing
that?

Also, what does the author mean when he/ she says that a copy of
pkgsrc can contain lot of CVS directories? I didn't understand that
either. The command given there by the author is similar to the
command used for updating the CVS tree -- so what's the author trying
to say?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--