Re: hacking pkgsrc

Geert Hendrickx wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:42:58PM -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:

It is also a little-known fact that you can keep the patches in the
pkgsrc tree if you name them patch-local-*, e.g.
pkgsrc/devel/gmake/patches/patch-local-1.  These patches are applied
during the patch phase automatically.

Ehrr, indeed, I didn't know it.  What's the difference with LOCALPATCHES,
then?

I think LOCALPATCHES is to satisfy some folks' need to have a read-only pkgsrc tree, in which case one could allow LOCALPATCHES to point to a separate, writable location where local patches could be stored. I personally find LOCALPATCHES kind of klunky because you need to maintain a separate hierarchy of package directories, and I also much prefer to keep all of the patches for a package in a single location.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny Lam <jlam%pkgsrc.org@localhost>