libtool without pkgsrc on DragonFly and no RPATH

I was told today by a libtool committer that Libtool had a regression in
1.5.22 over 1.5.20 on DragonFly.

My question is not directly pkgsrc related, other I am using pkgsrc
provided libtool.

I was using (I think) libtool-base-1.5.18nb4 on DragonFly to do some
builds (not using pkgsrc) of the xorg HEAD. I saw that some libraries were
built with the needed shared library runtime path included, but some were
not.

>From a quick look at the configure.ac and Makefile.am and build logs, I
was not sure why. (So I decided to update libtool.)

I updated to pkgsrc's libtool-base-1.5.22nb2. My next build on DragonFly
was worse: none of the libraries had the needed RPATH's (and the build
couldn't even complete because its installed tools would not run because
couldn't find libraries).

I am not sure how to track this down (as I only have little experience
with looking inside of libtool family scripts.)

I can provide complete build logs. Here is one example ...

env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/reed/xorg/lib/pkgconfig ./configure
--prefix=/home/reed/xorg | & tee LOG.configure

make | & tee LOG.make

make install | & tee LOG.install

The libtool to create the .la file is ran with -rpath /home/reed/xorg/lib,
but the gcc is not ran with any -Wl,-R/home/reed/xorg/lib.

The source and binary results and three LOG* files are all in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/reed/lib-Xfontcache.tar.gz
(978572 bytes)

# objdump -x /home/reed/xorg/lib/libXfontcache.so.1 | egrep
'NEEDED|SONAME|RPATH'
  NEEDED      libX11.so.6
  NEEDED      libXext.so.6
  NEEDED      libc.so.6
  SONAME      libXfontcache.so.1
  RPATH       /usr/lib/gcc34:/usr/lib

# ldd /home/reed/xorg/lib/libXfontcache.so.1
/home/reed/xorg/lib/libXfontcache.so.1:
        libX11.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libXext.so.6 => not found (0x0)
        libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x28076000)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (If you point me to a libtool or
DragonFly forum instead, please suggest some other things I can look for.)

Thanks,

 Jeremy C. Reed

                         http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/