Re: SheevaPlug boot error ?can't open root device?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 08:49:10AM +0200, Diogo B. wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> I'm trying to revive an old SheevaPlug device. Luckily, I've found NetBSD supports it. SheevaPlug has a Marvell Kirkwood CPU (ARMv5TE), an SD card slot, a USB port, and an Ethernet port. Serial output is available via a secondary USB port.
>
> Getting the pre-built kernel to boot the SheevaPlug was quite straight-forward. Unfortunately, the boot process stops with the following error:

I would suggest to use the installer kernel instead, e.g.

https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/latest/evbarm-earmv5/installation/instkernel/netbsd-SHEEVAPLUG_INSTALL.gz

and boot that.

It will allow you to create the required partions on the USB stick and
populate them. When that is done, reboot and use the regular kernel again
as you tried already - but now it should work.

I have a GuruPlug device that is running -current.

Martin