Re: Mail delivery from Postfix to remote IMAP

On Mon 22 Apr 2024 at 19:29:13 +0200, Hauke Fath (SPG) wrote:
> On 2024-04-22 18:27, Rhialto wrote:
> > Since mails can be transferred from one IMAP server to another,
>
> ... by an IMAP client, or server?

Client. Even dovecot (which I already use) has something like that
already: dsync(1) or doveadm-sync(1) (the name seems somewhat
inconsistent).

> Postfix doesn't speak IMAP, does it?

No, even to (a local) Dovecot it delivers to the mbox file, or via lmtp,
or other similar options.

> You would have to have a local delivery
> agent that (working with stored user credentials) also acts as an IMAP
> _client_. Interesting concept...

I'd expect some little program already exists that, say, takes a mail
message on stdin and puts it in some configured imap mailbox... but I
haven't found one yet. Then I could just use an alias:

user%isp.tld@localhost:	"|imap-delivery user:password%imap.isp.tld@localhost"

> Hauke
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            <rhialto/at/falu.nl>
\X/ There is no AI. There is just someone else's work.           --I. Rose