Re: How to render Groff / troff output directly on the terminal

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 21:48, Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov
<rambiusparkisanius%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am experimenting with groff and troff on NetBSD. I am able to
> generate a postscript file and view it with the following commands
>
> groff -ms -Tps test.ms > test.ps
> gs test.ps
>
> Is there a way to render groff / troff's output directly to the
> terminal similar to the way man outputs to the terminal?

Well, you could try converting the postscript output to .png using

$ gs -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=png256 -sOutputFile=/tmp/whatever.png
/tmp/whatever.ps

then, provided you use a terminal emulator capable of sixel display,
install imgcat using

pip3 install imgcat

(obviously, python3 + a bunch of libraries required, they are
available in pkgsrc, but I haven't seen imgcat itself; however, it
works for me on my -current system, using WezTerm from a W11
laptop...)

> Regards
> rambius
>
> --