Re: segfault in libterminfo with ncurses with nethack

On Sat 02 Sep 2023 at 09:37:17 +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> I do understand that the issue with pkgsrc needs a fix but the deeper
> issue, in my mind, is that ncurses is needed at all.  It would be
> really good if when people make the decision that ncurses is required
> that they raise a PR on the built in curses detailing why they needed
> to do this.

In the case of nethack, the place where the cursor is put on the screen
is "wrong" with curses. I put it between quotes because I'm not really
aware of rules that prescribe this (the talk about cursor positions in
curses_cursor(3) might as well be about the virtual cursor location in
each window). But for nethack the cursor should most of the time be
placed on top of the player, or for some commands that ask the player to
indicate a location on the map it should move around the map as directed
by the player.

I suppose "use nethack as a test program" isn't desirable; it's a rather
complex program. I already made a simplistic test program with just
initscr() and move() and that worked as expected.  So of course nethack
is doing something more complicated that I have yet to figure out...

I hope to commit games/nethack* some time today. I intend to make it
easy to switch between the two curses versions (but not a formal option).

> Brett Lymn
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            <rhialto/at/falu.nl>
\X/ There is no AI. There is just someone else's work.           --I. Rose