Re: ZFS Bogosity

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 07:50:01AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> In this case, wedges show up as logical disks in hw.disknames, so it's
> really that partitions aren't disks.

Indeed, partitions are disks and wedges appear as a disk that doesn't
support partitions.

> > You can avoid this by ignoring and phasing out disklabel
> > partitions (which only work for "small" disks anyway) and use wedges
> > also to handle the bsd disklabel.
>
> Do you mean "create dkN entries from the disklabel"?  That doesn't
> happen by default.

You have to set a kernel option. Since changing behaviour is a flag day,
it never happened (actually it happened and was reverted immediately).

> I still use disklabels on disks that are <= 2T, and I don't see that as
> really odd.

It's odd to treat disks differently, i.e. small disks with "physical"
driver names and a partition suffix, large disks with a name (or
an UUID as unique default name).

Make small disks using wedges, indepenent of disklabel or GPT, would
unify both.

> > Makeing zfs scan disklabel partitions derived from hw.disknames seems
> > to be the easier method though.
>
> Yes, that seems not to have any real downsides and would make it behave
> as expected.

SMOP

--
                                Michael van Elst