Re: installing onto nvme/m2 ssd

On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 10:30:26PM -0400, cyrus torros wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to install Netbsd 10 on a eufi machine. a ryzen b450
> motherboard with a ryzen 5 2600 in it.
>
> It has currently a m2/nvme drive in it that has windows installed on it,
> complete with all the crap that comes with a eufi windows 10 install.
>
> I am having trouble using the netbsd installer to properly wipe and
> repartition this sssd.

It should be pretty easy:

 - choose: Install NetBSD to hard disk
 - Select ld0 (or whatever your nvme drive ends up being called)
 - choose: Delete everything, use different partitions (not GPT)
   [and ignore the "not GPT" part here]

and then you can select everything you like and start with an empty disk.

However, once you have started mangling your disk it might get more trickky.
The easiest way out is to escape the installer and use dd(1) to write
like 1MB of zeroes to you disk, once right at the start and again right
at the end of the disk (exact numbers don't matter, the idea is to nuke
the first and the last few sectors on disk so no traces of the old GPT can
be found).

Martin