Re: nvmm users - experience

On Mon, 22 May 2023 at 15:42, Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2023 14:01:22 +0000
> "Mathew\, Cherry G.*" <c%bow.st@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm wondering if there are any nvmm(4) users out there - I'd like to
> > understand what your user experience is - expecially for multiple VMs
> > running simultaneously.
> >

> Tried it without any success several years ago. Old - but reliable -
> AMD APU hardware, any VM I tried would crash immediately on startup. I
> don't remember the exact error at this point but something about being
> unable to map memory, I think.

In my case, on otherwise well working AMD FirePRO W5000 card, if I use
local display the operation is impossible - the machines do not crash
and do display dmesg messages etc., but it takes some 10-15 minutes to
get an echo from, say, the username entered on the login prompt. The
dmesg is filled with diagnostic messages from the Radeon driver.

If I run the same VM over vnc or with a local serial console, it works
as expected. I haven't tried running more than 3-4 machines, perhaps a
year ago, it was reasonably OK. Now I occasionally run one or two
machines when I have to test something.

> --
> Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>

Chavdar