Re: Help understanding pkgsrc snapshots

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 08:30:24PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> vom513 <vom513%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > So say instead of using the pkgsrc tarballs I did a CVS clone
> > (checkout ? I’m more familiar with git).
>
> Yes, checkout.   CVS creates a working tree locally.  Unlike git it does
> not copy the repo.
>
> > Then I build a couple of packages.  At some point after this I want to
> > refresh from CVS - is there some top level “make clean” type thing I
> > need to do ?  Whats the best practice here ?  I guess my thought is
> > around the packages that I built now have various files they didn’t
> > before by virtue of being built.  I would be concerned about pulling
> > from CVS and the “base” files in these dirs having been changed/added
> > etc.
>
> Two related issues:
>
>   With pkgsrc, you do "make package-install" and IMHO always want to
>   "make clean" afterwards.  You can "make clean-depends", or you can set
>     DEPENDS_TARGET=         bin-install clean
>   in mk.conf to try to use binary packages and clean up afterwards.

I typically set WRKOBJDIR in mk.conf (usually WRKOBJDIR = /usr/pkgobj)
which means all the intermediate build artefacts pile up there and
if you forget "make clean", a brute force "rm -rf /usr/pkgobj/*" will
also clean them all out.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison