Re: TOTP apps, and WebAuthn recommended devices?

> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 08:36:36 -0400
> From: Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
>
> Thanks very much for the detailed response.
>
> One thing that's not 100% clear to me:
>
>   One device (plus a second one as a backup!)
>

> A device can fail or be lost, so the backup concept is obvious, and
> perhaps should extend to a third.
>
> Are the backup devices independent in that you
>
>   enroll device A on a site
>
>   enroll device B on the same site
>
> and then either one will be accpeted by the site to login, and they
> otherwise don't have anything to do with each other?  I mean no transfer
> of keymat, or other linkage.
>
> So therefore one could have a secondary backup in a place far away
> that's somewhat hard to get to, and when visiting it every few months,
> enroll that backup as an additional key in the sites that were added to
> the working device (carried with you) and the primary backup.

That is all correct.  Security key enrollments are independent.

P.S. There is also a proposal for a scheme that does allow devices to
     be linked in a way that preserves the privacy properties but
     doesn't require you to have the backup key itself to enroll it --
     only to log in with it -- but it's not there yet:
     https://www.yubico.com/blog/yubico-proposes-webauthn-protocol-extension-to-simplify-backup-security-keys/)