Re: Does any common mortals here (not programmers or sysads) use NetBSD as their daily productivity driver?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 10:44:23AM +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> If so, what can you not do on NetBSD that you can do on any other OS?

I have NetBSD on a VPS server and on an RPI that I use as a NAS and some
other jobs.

On RPI4 which is used as a desktop I have Linux. Once in a while I try to
convert it to NetBSD, but things are not yet up to the mark - particularly
media players with acceleration.

On laptops I'd have preferred to use NetBSD, but can't due to one or more
of these reasons:

- Wifi not working. (Workaround is available in the form of USB wifi
  adapters, but there are other show stoppers)

- Laptop touchpad behaving erratically. (Workaround is to use external
  mouse - if that is workable. However even little unintentional touch can
  irk the touchpad.)

- On one laptop I am constrained to use Virtualbox which is not available
  on NetBSD. (Could have possibly converted to qemu, but there is node
  locked licensed software. I am not sure whether it will work on qemu.)

On every new release I try NetBSD out on these laptops. Looking forward to
10 now.

--
Mayuresh